As a home inspector, I can review and report on many things related to the soundness of the home. But one thing I cannot observe with the naked eye are the airborne chemicals present in the home that could potentially affect the health of you and your family.
Here are some important facts to know:
- The USEPA has reported that home air can have 100 times more chemicals inside than outside.
- The USEPA has also reported that adults and kids now spend most of their time indoors (90%).
- The CDC has reported that 20+ million adults have asthma, and the National Asthma Survey has reported that asthma is the most prevalent chronic disease among children. These numbers continue to increase annually, suggesting that the indoor environment plays a contributing role in this trend.
- Mold growth can be present within the home and be hidden behind walls or underneath carpeting or flooring.
- The use of Formaldehyde is prevalent in certain building materials and the concentration of this known cancer-causing agent can be many times the safe level.
How can I know if the home air quality is safe?
I have chosen to offer my customers IAQ Home SurveyTM, a state-of-the-art test that checks for chemicals in the air that could potentially make you and your family sick, and provides you with an assessment of the home air quality.
- IAQ Home Survey is a low-cost test designed to measure the chemicals in the air and find hidden mold.
- IAQ Home Survey is performed during the home inspection.
- IAQ Home Survey reports the total amount of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)found in the home and whether they are within a recommended safe range.
- IAQ Home Survey predicts the source of the VOCs and determines if the home is the source or if the VOCs are merely from the contents of the home.
- IAQ Home Survey is so sensitive it monitors for the chemicals released by actively growing mold, whether it is behind walls or underneath carpeting or flooring.
- Formaldehyde can be measured and reported individually for an additional charge. This test is especially recommended for any home constructed or remodeled within the past five years.
Get peace of mind that the air in the home you’re buying is safe to breathe. Call us today about performing an accurate, affordable IAQ Home Survey test as part of a complete home inspection service.